Genesis 1 Reflections

So, Doug had a great idea for a reading plan and I decided to do it as well starting today. Yes, I am a follower. ;) Anyway, today I read the first and second chapters of Genesis. You can find Doug's reflections here.

Back when I was an atheist if someone had even attempted to tell me that the Bible was true I would have laughed, I was pretty obnoxious. Once I came to Christ I didn't know a single person who was a Christian (or at least claimed to be) and didn't believe in evolution. As I've grown I've become more and more convinced that the Genesis explanation of creation is true, but amazingly even among Christians there is much debate over whether the days of Genesis were literal 24 hour periods. I can't begin to tell you how many Old Earth Creationalists I know now.

What struck me this morning as I did my reading was the language of the Genesis 1 creation account. As we examine the text closely we find that there is nothing within it to warrant the Old Earth Creation view. Indeed, the very language is contrary to this view, evenings and mornings bring to mind very specific time frames. A narrow interpretation of the account is really the only proper way to read the text.

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: (Gen 1:14)

God was pretty specific in His design of the sun and moon and their purposes, why then would He be careless and inexplicit as He inspired the author of Genesis to record what took place all those years ago? It seems to me, that if we read into the text and presume that days doesn't mean 24 hours, we're making things far too complicated. Further, God revealed Himself over and over throughout history....He purposely set out to be known by His children, why then would He obscure His masterful work in creation? If God had taken millions of years to form all that we know, why hide the fact by using language that would make us reflect on very short, specific, periods of time? No sir, when God says days I'm pretty sure He meant it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla's Facebook Meme Blogged

Chinese Buffet at home!

Worldliness & Respectable Sins