Leviticus 19-20 Reflections

Its been a while since I've done one of these posts, but every time I've started a post in the past couple weeks I just haven't been able to find the right words and so I leave them in drafts. But today I've just got a very brief post in store for you.

In the 19th and 20th chapter of Leviticus God is giving Moses laws covering quite a few different topics - social and sexual order, consulting spirits, and worshiping other gods - and ends this section with a reiteration of the reason He is giving the Law. Eighteen times in these two chapters we find phrases such as "I am the LORD your God" and "I am the LORD;" it seems that God wants absolutely no misunderstanding about this. The Law was given by the God that delivered the Israelites out of Egypt.

The phrase is inserted over and over and over, seemingly to draw the recipient's mind back to Him. It would be easy for the listeners to hear Moses give these commandments and them scoffingly say "And who are you, Moses, to tell us what to do?!" God knows the hearts of men, He knows how quickly we despise being told how me must live, and so He reminds us "I am the LORD."

He called the Israelites to be holy because He is holy, and so we as Christians have been directed by Christ to submit and honor Him by abiding in Him (Mt 5-7,Jn 14:21, Jn 15:1-11).

I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people...And ye shall be holly unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine. (Leviticus 20:24,26)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla's Facebook Meme Blogged

Worldliness & Respectable Sins

Chinese Buffet at home!