The most beautiful words ever written

I purchased The Nativity Story on dvd through Amazon last week and it came yesterday, so I popped it in last night after the kids went to bed. There just aren't words for how much I love this movie. As I was watching it I was thinking about the anticipation of Christ's return and about a zillion other things when my brother interrupted my thoughts. It was the scene where Herod was transferring his sins to the bull and then it cuts out as the animal is about to be sacrificed and he asked what they were doing. I told him that they were sacrificing the animal and he replied that he didn't think God would approve of such behavior.

Boy was he caught off guard when I informed him that the sacrifice of animals back then was not only approved but ordained by God, and that sin requires death...I thought his response to the news was more profound than he probably realized at the time, "I have too many sins for that to work, I have to many sins in my life." I was caught off guard by all this - my family almost never shows any concern for their standing before God - and so when he took the matter further and asked me if he could just ask God to forgive him I pretty much dropped the ball. After a moment I found my words and told him that it was only through Christ that he might find forgiveness, and with that he nodded and walked out the door.

Was there repentance on his end? Probably not, but I do hope something will continue to stir in his heart about all this. I hope he will read the Bible I gave him for his birthday, I hope that God would cause him to think further on this matter and press him on to repentance. I hope that I will be more mindful of these opportunities in the future.

After the movie ended I headed off to bed with my heart stirred at the great mercy God showed us by sending Christ. I thought about the cross a lot, about how He was born for the purpose of dying as a sacrifice for our sins - for my sins. And the one verse that kept bouncing around in my head as I drifted off to sleep is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever heard:

For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:7-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla's Facebook Meme Blogged

Chinese Buffet at home!

Worldliness & Respectable Sins