Adventures in the Kitchen: Chicken Wraps - with lettuce?!

The problem

So last night I put some chicken breasts in the fridge to defrost. After lunch today I was faced with a dilemma - I had some lettuce, tomatoes, & green bell peppers that needed to be used within the next few days or risk them going to waste.

I pulled up Food Network, and Martha Stewart's website to try and find something to make. Meanwhile I sent out a tweet asking for ideas and I also pulled My Fridge Food, plugged in some ingredients and started reading. I take food going to waste pretty seriously.

I had a few things that looked interesting and with some encouragement I decided to go the wrap route...but instead of going and buying tortillas I decided to use the lettuce as the thing to hold everything together.


They say a picture is worth a thousand words





How I got it

Dice two chicken breasts, a tomato, and a bell pepper.
Slice a potato and a cucumber.
Mince a clove of garlic.

Season liberally with salt & pepper.
Heat a skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.

Add the ingredients minus the tomato to the skillet and cook until the chicken runs clear and is no longer pink.
Lay out your lettuce leaf, scoop cooked ingredients into it, add tomato and cheddar cheese, and roll closed.



On the side




While all that jazz is going on drizzle oil on a cookie sheet, spread the potato and cucumber slices out, and season. Throw those puppies in the oven on 350 till the potatoes brown.









Other stuff

This worked great b/c my kids could pull the entire thing apart, dump a pound of ketchup on it and eat it with a fork.
Add your favorite salad dressing (thick ones work best) for added flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla's Facebook Meme Blogged

Worldliness & Respectable Sins

Chinese Buffet at home!