Sweet & Sour Chicken

I'm a sucker for some good Chinese food, the problem is Tong's Tiki Hut (Google it) has absolutely ruined Chinese food for me. Their food is the standard by which I judge all other Chinese food. The problem is, I don't really live near Tong's and the cheapskate in me can't stand the idea of spending money on gas AND then on food - even for as much as I love it.


I've tried making Chinese at home before, I'm never satisfied with the results - they've always been mediocre or down right bad. About a month I go I treated myself to a bargain bin Chinese cookbook from Barnes and Noble. Tonight I made my first recipe from it. Incidentally it was also the first time I've used my wok.

The results? Actually not bad! I mean, it certainly wasn't Tong's and didn't taste the same as the sweet and sour chicken I'm used to, but the flavors were pretty good*. Coupled with a Trader Joe's egg roll, and I'm a pretty happy girl!

2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp veggie oil
1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c chicken broth
2 tbsp apricot fruit spread
1 can (11 oz) mandarin orange segments, drained
2 c cooked white rice

Combine vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, ginger & red pepper flakes in medium bowl. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch strips, toss with vinegar mixture. Marinate 20 minutes at room temp.

Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Drain chicken, reserve marinade. Add chicken to wok, stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and green onions.

Stir cornstarch into marinade. Stir broth, fruit spread and marinade mixture into wok. Cook and stir until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens. Add orange segments, stir until heated through. Serve over rice.


From the Chinese at Home: Favorite Restaurant-Style Recipes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla's Facebook Meme Blogged

Worldliness & Respectable Sins

Chinese Buffet at home!